ETEL Transformers Pty Ltd. originated as a small business in 1956 and began manufacturing transformers for the New Zealand electrical industry. After a 28 year period of operation under the control of the original shareholder, the ownership of the company changed.
A period of growth followed and after 10 years, in 1994, a decision was taken to diversify the activities of the company by commencing the distribution transformer business.
By 2001, the new distribution transformer business had developed considerably and required a large increase in factory production space. To address this need the small transformer division of the company was sold to new owners and the company name was changed. The distribution transformer activity expanded to occupy the whole of the existing building.
Further rapid growth in 2001/02 period necessitated the purchase of a large factory complex and relocation to the current address. In 2009 office & warehousing facilities were opened in Melbourne, Australia with a dedicated sales team. ETEL currently operates 18,000 sq metres of production & office facilities, providing long term capability.